T: (703) 749-1000
For more than 25 years, Carter Reid's practice has encompassed the full breadth of private and public construction and surety law. He represents clients in the drafting and negotiation of contracts; the administration of project obligations; and the preparation, prosecution and defense of claims. He also has extensive experience in performance and payment guaranty-related matters, bonding, and indemnity issues giving him an experienced, educated perspective on all aspects of construction, design, and surety law. Skilled in mediations, arbitrations, jury trials and bench proceedings, Mr. Reid has represented contractors, owners, designers, engineers and sureties in a wide variety of construction-related matters before boards, tribunals, arbitration panels, and state and federal courts including extensive experience before federal government contract fora such as the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the Civilian Board of Contract Appeals.
- Chambers USA list of Top Construction Lawyers - 2008-2015
- Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law and Construction Litigation Categories - 2008-2015
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Associated General Contractors
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
Publications and Presentations
Mr. Reid has authored numerous works on issues related to the construction industry and regularly speaks on construction matters. Sample titles of his publications and presentations include:
- "Case Study - A Failed Construction Project - Use of Mediation in Resolving Disputes"
- "Proving Damages in a Courtroom Using Testimony, Experts, and Demonstrative Evidence"
- "A Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Contractor Survival Pending Economic Recovery"
- "Responding to a Cure Notice in Order to Avoid Default"
- "Legal Considerations for Sureties Bonding Environmental Contractors"
- "Considerations for Providing Closure/Post-Closure Bonds for Municipal Solid Waste Landfills"
- "Construction Critical Path Method Analysis for Dummies"
- "Protesting and Challenging the Government's Award on Competitively Bid Federal Projects"
- "Contract Planning and Administration"
- "Reducing and Resolving Construction Claims"
- "Construction Contracting Under FIDIC Terms
- "Construction Issues in International Arbitration"
- "Public, Private Partnerships - What Are They?"
- "Proving Construction Damages"
- "The Surety's Indemnity Agreement - Defenses"