T: (703) 749-1000
Jason Blatt represents developers, investors, users and owners of office buildings, industrial parks, shopping centers, headquarters facilities, and mixed-use developments. He has extensive experience representing clients in connection with the acquisition/disposition, leasing, development and financing of a broad array of real estate projects.
- Representation of borrowers and lenders in the negotiation, documentation and closing of diverse financing vehicles, including construction, bridge, permanent, CMBS and mezzanine loans.
- Negotiation of contracts for the acquisition or sale of undeveloped land, office buildings, shopping centers, master planned communities, mixed use developments and industrial parks.
- Representation of developers in the drafting and negotiation of Operation & Easement Agreements; Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions; and various other documents governing the use and operation of commercial developments.
- Counseling developers, investors, tenants and other users on site selection and due diligence.
- Negotiating and drafting contracts with architectural, engineering and construction firms on behalf of developers, landlords and tenants.
- Advising the firm's litigation practice group on various real property issues implicated in complex commercial litigation pending before state and federal courts.
Representative Clients and Transactions
- Represented the world's largest credit union (with assets in excess of $40 billion) in the selection, acquisition and management of facilities throughout the United States.
Specific responsibilities included: (1) negotiating and drafting all leases and purchase & sale agreements; (2) advising client with respect to results of due diligence analyses; (3) developing and maintaining detailed system for tracking all legal, due diligence, permitting and construction activities & issues for over 100 existing and proposed branch locations located in approximately 35 States; and (4) development and implementation of form agreements and specifications utilized in contracting with architects, engineers, general contractors and other service providers.
- Representation of national developer of master-planned communities in acquisition of 600 acre mixed-use development in suburban Virginia. Closing occurred 60 days following execution of the purchase and sale agreement and responsibilities included coordinating qualitative analysis of all infrastructure and other improvements constructed by seller prior to closing and advising purchaser on strategy relating to various post-closing development and construction issues.
- Representation of national lender in connection with a series of construction, mezzanine and permanent financing transactions, ranging from $50 million to $200 million.
- Representation of owner of several regional shopping centers in obtaining over $100 million in replacement financing through conduit and other lenders.
- Representation of private developer in sale of fully tenanted landmark office building in Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
- Representation of international real estate investment trust in negotiation of office lease for headquarters occupying over 200,000 square feet in major redevelopment project located in Bethesda, Maryland.
- The Legal 500 United States (Real Estate and Construction) - 2011
Memberships and Affiliations
- D.C. Young Real Estate Professionals
- Greater Washington Commercial Association of Realtors
- National Association of Industrial and Office Parks
Publications and Presentations
- Author: "Anatomy of a Headquarters Relocation," From the Ground Up, Spring 2004.
- Speaker: "The Basic Commercial Lease in Virginia," May 2004.
- Speaker: "Practical Lease Issues - Letter of Intent Through Occupancy," November 2003.
- Author: "Should You Lease Or Own Your Headquarters," From the Ground Up, Summer 2002.